LA Marathon!

19 Mar

You know you ran a marathon when…

  • Your arms are sore from lifting yourself in and out of chairs.
  • You find yourself avoiding curbs and stairs at all costs
  • You’re still craving carbs even after the carb-loading is over
  •  You can barely walk, yet you’re already planning your next marathon

Yesterday I finished my 4th marathon, the Honda LA Marathon from stadium to sea. In the days leading up to the race, the weather reports were looking more and more daunting, and I couldn’t fathom the thought of running in a rainstorm for the second time. When Spencer and I arrived at the expo on Saturday morning, it was pouring, and as I sloshed through puddles to get my bib, my excitement began to dwindle.

I woke up at 4:00 am on Sunday morning and nervously opened the blinds…only to see a clear sky. I didn’t want to get my hopes up, but I suddenly had a good feeling about this race. Spencer drove me to Dodger stadium, and despite the fact that it was 5:15 am, it took us almost an hour and a half to get there, thanks to race traffic! It was freezing when I got out of the car, but it was almost 7:00 am, so I hurried over to the seeded corrals. Because of my 3:54 time last year, I made it into the “B” corral, which is the 2nd best starting position, not including the elites. After what felt like an eternity, the gun sounded, and we were off. The first half of the race went smoothly, and the miles seemed to fly by, but by mile 13, things started to go downhill. My quads decided that they were extremely unhappy with the cold weather, and they started to spasm and cramp. I had so much energy, and the rest of me felt great, but the pain in my legs grew worse with each step. I needed to stretch them every mile to keep going, so I ended up finishing in 4:07, but I was still happy with that given the circumstances. The weather was fantastic, and the cheering crowds kept me going when I felt like giving up, but the highlight was my support crew. My parents met me at mile 16, my dad at mile 24, and Spencer and my mom at the finish line.

After being wrapped in a space blanket and handed my medal and a banana, I staggered through the crowd until Spencer rescued me and got me to the car. I spent the rest of the day eating and relaxing, and today it was back to the real world.

I never thought I would say this yesterday…but I already can’t wait until the next one!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: